A study published in the journal Injury Prevention in 2012 reviewed data for 116 injuries over a 7 year period associated with the use of headphones. The researchers found that nearly three quarters of the injuries were fatal.
In order to exercise while remaining safe, here are a few tips to follow:
- Obey local traffic laws: Walk and run against traffic and bike with the traffic flow.
- Utilize less traveled roadways or stick to designated paths and trails.
- Exercise at off peak hours when traffic is not busy.
- Wear reflective clothing at low light times.
- Lower the volume of your device so you can hear warning signals.
- Wait to text, read or watch videos- it's probably not that important.